Friday 25 August 2017

#RPGaDAY 2017 - Day 25 - Giving thanks to your GM

Day 25 of #RPGaDay 2017. 

What is the best way to thank your GM?

My Games Master Tip Box
Back when I first started GMing I used to give XP for Jolt Cola and "Spider Butter Bars" (Peanut Butter Oh Henry! which is called Oh Henry! Burre d'arachides in French which made us think spider butter). Though I think most of the time I got these 'rewards' more due to players looking for an advantage than as thanks.

When I first started running public events I would put out a Tip Box. I still have it. 100% of the money I got went to my gaming budget and I promised would be used to improve the game I was running. I used the money for miniatures, maps, paints, splat books etc. It's something I'm surprised more GMs don't do. A tip was an awesome way to say thanks for me running a game.

Close up of the Tip Box
Perhaps the best way to say thanks is by participating and sharing the load. Take notes, be prepared with a recap at the start of the game, offer to track initiative or monster hit points, help drawing maps, etc. Be involved and help the GM run a better game. Don't just sit back and passively wait to be entertained. Take part, be engaged. To me having everyone at the table laughing, engaged and having fun is the best reward. 

Then, of course, there's the obvious, the simple words "Thank's for running tonight" at the end of the game. Other good ones: "I had a good time", "great game", "fantastic prep tonight", etc. 


For those wishing to play along at home, here are the topics for this years #RPGaDay. Feel free to use these cues in your tweets, facebook posts, g+ threads, blog posts and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment